The following observation is attributed to Mr. Arun Shourie, former Indian minister for, inter alia, communication and IT:-
To shore up the finances of India, an economist suggested the following measures for which the response from the administration is juxtaposed:
- Tax agricultural income :: No, we can’t do it because of political reasons
- Ok, then, you realise all tax arrears :: Oh, we can’t do it for administrative reasons
- In that case make the administration work by making everyone come to office on time :: That we can’t do for cultural reasons
- Agreed. At least make them work when they are in ofice :: No, that can’t be done for historical reasons.
Obvious reasons for Governments not working!
- Eat the Sun; you don’t need food!
- Perhaps it is an old chestnut!