Want to track down the email you sent to others? Was it read, or deleted unopened? Was it read for only one hundredth of a second before the the recipient’s hand reached for the “Del” button, or was it mulled over?
Read the Sitepoint story about a peeky emailer:
A friend of mine is the producer of a TV show. She recently received an email from a PR consultant pitching an idea for a story. She wasn’t interested in the story, so she deleted the email.
Ten minutes later, the PR consultant rang her and asked, “Why did you delete my email? You only read it for two seconds!”
That was absolutely correct. My friend did delete the email. And yes, she only had the email open for 2 seconds. My friend was starting to freak out. “How did this guy know all this?” she asked me.
That is pretty easy.
You too can try it out by using a program offered by Readnotify. Here is the list of data that the proggy will faithfully report to you about your emails:
- Date and time opened
- Location of recipient (per their ISP city /town)
- Map of location (available on paid subscriptions)
- Recipients IP address
- Apparent email address of opening (if available)
- Referrer details (ie; if accessed via web mail etc)
- URL clicks
- How long the email was read for
- How many times your email was opened
- If your email was forwarded, or opened on a different computer
There are many other options available with the Readnotify website.
But this throws up privacy issues and the prospects of your inbox being constantly spied by a nosey parker!
The day is not far when every sneeze or a teensy-weensy fart of yours will be known to the whole world!
- Now, electricity from urine!
- Question of time!